Skip to main content

Notes from a Small Island

Author: Bill Bryson
Genre: memoir, travel, non fiction


             This is the first of Bill Bryson that I have read. I am not a fan of travel books but I was keen on reading some of his books and so I picked it up. Before moving to the US the author decides to take one last nostalgic trip of Britain and the book is about this journey of his.
             The book of course, is all about Great Britain and why, according to the author is it so great. It includes memoirs not only of the incidences that the author experienced on the journey of his but also some memories of the past that certain places invoked. It has detailed descriptions of the all the places he visited and also how he went there, most of the travel was done on trains, buses and on foot. It also includes a fair bit of description of all of the people he met. If you want to know what living in Britain is like and know about especially unknown but worth visiting places, this book has it all.
           As I said, I don’t particularly enjoy reading travel books. However, I really liked this one because of the style of writing. It kept me interested till the very end. I kept chucking every few minutes while reading the book. One of the highlights in the book is a short description of the British people somewhere early in the book and why these people and why they are ideal candidate citizen for a communist nation. Another is where the author describes exactly why he hates sand.
             After this book, I have decided that I won’t read  any more of his travel related books. However, I do plan on trying out some works of his. I would say, that it is a great light read, even if you don’t have a wander lust!

Comments